Spaying & Neutering: Should I De-Sex my Dog?
It is highly recommended your dog is de-sexed as it can prevent or help manage various health and behavioural issues.
De-sexing may not change the personality of your dog however it can help to reduce the onset of many undesirable traits due to increased hormone levels.
What age should I de-sex my dog?
Your dog is never too old to be de-sexed, however the minimum age is six months.
What is the difference between spaying and neutering?
- Spaying – removal of your female dog’s ovaries and uterus
- Neutering – removal of your male dog’s testicles
It’s important to remember that de-sexing involves internal surgery, and requires care and attention for some time after the procedure.
Unfortunately, dogs do not always understand that they must rest so you’ll need to assist with their recovery.
When you collect your dog from the vet clinic, they may be a little drowsy for the next 12-24 hours and a bit out of sorts for a few days – quite normal following an anaesthetic and surgery. Keep your dog in a quiet, warm place and provide only small, frequent amounts to eat and drink.
Caring for your dog after they’re de-sexed
Most dogs start to feel much better within a few days. Unfortunately, this has some disadvantages in that your pet may start jumping, running around and generally trying to do everything they can to upset their stitches! Try to keep your dog as quiet as possible for the next 10 days. Avoid bathing your dog or letting them swim during this time, too.
Problems resulting from de-sexing
Generally, there are very few complications after a de-sexing procedure. However, there are some signs to watch for:
- Is your dog dull and listless (especially after the first 24 hours)?
- Does your dog display redness or irritation?
- Is there swelling or lumpiness?
Call your vet if you notice any of these signs.
Our Recommended Products
BecoThings Bone Eco Friendly
- Carefully designed to be the most healthy, safe and ethical toy for your pet.
- Made from natural rubber and rice husk fibres making it nontoxic.
- Has a lovely vanilla scent.
Petlife Squeaky Latex Chicken
- The perfect boredom buster.
- Made from light weight latex rubber making it soft on teeth and gums.
- Contains in-built squeaker.
Watch & Grow Beef Achilies
- High quality and healthy treat.
- Especially lean, compared with other beef proteins.
- High levels of glucosamine, perfect for bone and joint strength.
Watch and Grow Whole Deer Antler
- All natural treat.
- Cut from real deer antler that has been naturally shed, not harvested!
- Delicious and nutritious.
- Containing minerals essential for healthy bones and joints.