Treating your Dog at Easter
The Easter Bunny will be paying a visit any day now, perhaps with a basket full of chocolate eggs! How exciting! For most humans, chocolate is a delicious and welcomed Easter treat. For dogs though, the cacao seeds that give chocolate its delicious qualities are toxic and, if consumed, cause serious illness or death.
Don’t worry – just because your dog can’t eat the same Easter treats as you doesn’t mean they need to be left out of the festivities.
Dog treats (alternatives to chocolate) & Easter gifts
- Carob or yoghurt drops are an excellent alternative and can be picked up from your local PETstock store.
- The Chocolate Flavoured Tasty Bone is a dental toy that is made from 100 per cent virgin nylon. The bone has been impregnated with an irresistible chocolate flavour that will last as long as the toy does. Your dog’s gums and teeth become stronger and healthier with every bite.
Equally important as not feeding your buddy chocolate, you’ll need to ensure he doesn’t find his way in to the hot cross buns. Grapes and raisins can also be fatally toxic to dogs, even in small quantities.
My dog ate a chocolate Easter egg, help!
If you suspect your buddy has been scavenging, call your Vet immediately for diagnosis and treatment. Do not wait until your dog starts to display symptoms of toxicity, which can take 6-12 hours and include:
- Excessive thirst or urination
Including your pet in your Easter festivities will make for some great fun and awesome memories. Heading away this Easter? See our tips for camping with dogs.