How Much Food Should I Feed my Fish? Fish Feeding Requirements
Both cold water and tropical fish mostly eat the same type of food, however there are different varieties optimized for both types. For example, you will find fish flakes for either cold water or tropical fish. You will also find some fish foods which float, like flakes, or sink, like sticks. This is because some fish eat at the top of your tank or in the middle, and some prefer to eat from the gravel at the bottom (called bottom feeders).
In general, fish enjoy a combination of the following foods optimized for them i.e. cold water or tropical:
- Frozen food
- Frozen bloodworms
- Algae discs – best for catfish and other bottom feeding fish
- Live fish – optimal for large, aggressive breeds of fish like cichlids
If you are going to be away from home for more than a day or two, PETstock also has feeding options for both cold water and tropical fish that will last until you arrive home.
Be extra careful when feeding your fish, as over feeding is one of the most common causes of death.
Tips for Feeding Fish
- Add a minimal amount of food each time as it is easy to add a little more if needed, but very difficult to remove and potentially harmful if you add too much.
- Generally, your fish only needs to eat for 30 seconds to be satisfied, so try and stick to this guide to minimize wastage.
- Do try and feed your fish a couple of times each day in smaller amounts, rather than once in one large amount, to keep them full and happy.
- When you are feeding fish in a new aquarium, this feeding frequency can be decreased to keep harmful toxin levels down.
As a feeding guide, it’s good to remember that the size of the fish’s eye is roughly the size of its stomach.
Our Recommended Products
Aqua One Goldfish Flakes
- Suitable for most coldwater species including Goldfish, Shubunkins and small fancy varieties.
- Made from a great multi vitamin complex including plenty of Vitamin C which aids in healing existing wounds and boosting the immune system.
- A great mixture of fish meal and crustacean make the food exceptionally tasty as well as making it highly digestible.
Aqua One Tropical Flakes
- Packed full of nutrients, vitamins and minerals to offer any tropical species the best possible diet.
- Highest quality ingredients ensure healthy, thriving fish.
- Contains a tasty mix of ingredients including fish meal, crustacean, soyabean meal and alfalfa.
- Easily digestible protein to give fish the strength for growth and repair.
Sera Goldy Gran Granules Goldfish Food
- Easily digestible granulated fish food for goldfish and other cold water fish.
- Slow sinking granules prevent digestion problems that can sometimes occur when fish come up to the surface for flakes and at the same time ingest air.
- Provides a complete and balanced diet for your cold water community.
Fluval Goldfish Flakes Fish Food
- High quality, ultra palatable fish food specifically formulated to help keep goldfish active and vibrant.
- Provides a rich supply of proteins, trace elements and antioxidants derived from several key ingredients, including Atlantic Herring and Norwegian Krill.
Aqua One Colour Enhancer 3mm Pellets Goldfish Food
- Complete nutritional fish food with spirulina for all kinds of goldfish.
- Colour enhancing food has been developed to provide complete nutrition whilst enhancing the natural colour of your fish.