De-sexing your puppy is highly recommended as it can help reduce the onset of many undesirable behaviors, and prevent or help manage various health issues.
Your puppy is never too old to be de-sexed, however the minimum age is six months.
In addition to becoming more costly, delaying the procedure can lead to health problems for your dog, including:
- Mammary Cancer (female dogs)
- Uterine Infections/Cancer (female dogs)
- Testicular Cancer (male dogs)
- Prostate problems (male dogs)
Will de-sexing change my puppy’s personality?
De-sexing may not change the personality of your dog, however it can help to reduce the onset of many undesirable traits due to increased hormone levels. The benefits of de-sexing far outweigh the negatives; it reduces unwanted pregnancies and helps to manage the long term health of your pet.
How much will it cost to de-sex my puppy?
The cost of de-sexing varies between clinics and also depends on the age of your puppy. Chat with your local PETstock VET team for more advice.
Caring for your puppy after de-sexing
After they’ve been de-sexed, your puppy may be a little quieter than normal for the next 12-24 hours due to the anesthetic and surgery.
It is important to keep your puppy warm and quite during the recovery period. Keeping their stitches dry and clean is vital to ensure they heal properly and remain free from infection.
Your puppy’s stitches are generally removed 10-12 days after surgery; during this time you will need to keep your puppy in a secured are and restrict their exercise to five – 10 minute walks on the leash only.
Our Recommended Products
BecoThings Bone Eco Friendly
- Carefully designed to be the most healthy, safe and ethical toy for your pet.
- Made from natural rubber and rice husk fibres making it nontoxic.
- Has a lovely vanilla scent.
Petlife Squeaky Latex Chicken
- The perfect boredom buster.
- Made from light weight latex rubber making it soft on teeth and gums.
- Contains in-built squeaker.
Watch & Grow Beef Achilies
- High quality and healthy treat.
- Especially lean, compared with other beef proteins.
- High levels of glucosamine, perfect for bone and joint strength.
Watch and Grow Whole Deer Antler
- All natural treat.
- Cut from real deer antler that has been naturally shed, not harvested!
- Delicious and nutritious.
- Containing minerals essential for healthy bones and joints.