Keeping Rabbits Warm in Winter & Cool in Summer
It’s important to consider where your rabbit’s hutch will be situated. Choosing a position which is sheltered from the elements, out of direct sunlight and well ventilated will ensure your rabbit is as comfortable as possible in most weather conditions throughout summer and winter. In extreme weather however, your rabbit requires special attention.
Summer Care: Keeping Rabbits Cool in the Heat
- Ensure your rabbit’s enclosure is always in the shade. You may need to move it over the course of the day as the shade moves around.
- Keep your rabbit indoors with you on very hot days.
- Ensure your rabbit always has access to ample fresh, clean water that is kept out of direct sunlight. Consider using a water dispenser with a nozzle instead of a bowl, to prevent your rabbit from knocking it over. On very hot days, consider adding some ice cubes to their water dispenser to keep it cooler for longer.
- Provide your rabbit with frozen water bottles to lay on and keep cool.
- Giving your bunny a small portion of frozen fruit and vegetables will provide a cool and healthy snack on a hot day.
Mosquito proof your hutch! In warmer months, your rabbit is susceptible to mosquito bites that can transmit the deadly Myxomatosis virus. Myxomatosis is highly contagious, with no vaccine or treatment available in Australia.
Ways to Mosquito-Proof your Hutch
- Fixing fly mesh to the open areas of your rabbit’s hutch will help prevent mosquitos from flying in.
- Keep your hutch in a dry location, as mosquitos tend to populate damp or wet areas.
- Try to avoid letting your rabbit out to exercise at dusk or dawn, as this is when mosquitos are most prevalent.
Winter Care: Keeping Rabbits Warm in Winter
- Add extra bedding straw or a mixture of wood shavings and straw to your rabbit’s enclosure, to help keep them snug.
- Provide extra padding to the enclosed section of the hutch, by purchasing an igloo for your rabbit to snuggle into.
- Move your rabbit’s hutch to a more secure area, sheltered from the cold.
- If possible, keep your rabbit indoors with you to ensure he doesn’t get too cold outside.
Our Recommended Products
Ware Chewproof Bottle Glass Water Bottle for Small Animals
- Premium quality glass bottle
- Drip resistant sipper
- Can be secured inside or outside the enclosure
- Includes a floating water level indicator
Chipsi Litter Classic Wood Shavings Small Animal Bedding
- Made from 100% renewable untreated softwood material
- Good for the environment and your enclosures
- 100% bio-degradable and compostable
- Superior quality rye grass hay
- High in fibre and low in calcium
Back 2 Nature Small Animal Bedding and Litter
- Made from recycled paper
- Chemical and additive free
- Virtually dust free and highly absorbent
Nibble & Squeek Small Animal Cube
- Perfect for your small animal to play or nap in
- Clips let you connect to the cage
- Bright, geometric pattern with soft fur on the inside to keep your small animal feeling secure