Bupa Pet Insurance is general insurance issued by the insurer The Hollard Insurance Company Pty Ltd (ACN 090 584 473; AFSL 241436) (Hollard), is promoted by Bupa HI Pty Ltd (ACN 000 057 590; AR 354269) (Bupa) and administered by PetSure (Australia) Pty Ltd (ACN 075 949 923; AFSL 420183 (PetSure).
Socialisation: How to Socialise your Puppy
What we learnt on Puppy Academy: Week one
Socialising your puppy means exposing them to lots of different:
Extensive socialisation equips your pup with essential life tools, as well as mental and physical stimulation to benefit their overall wellbeing.
Your pup’s socialisation experiences need to be positive and non-threatening. Any learning undertaken by your puppy during the socialisation period, whether good or bad, will stay with them for life, so it’s important to ensure that every experience is a positive one.
Socialisation in safe, controlled environments such as PETstock Puppy School classes and one-on-one play dates with suitably-matched dogs is important for your pup’s learning. Ongoing socialisation, not just throughout puppyhood but the dog’s whole lifetime, is just as important.
When your pup is investigating a human / object / noise, let them be the guide. They’ll display their confidence by showing that they’re no longer interested and moving on the next environment, sight, sound or object. Always make learning a fun and positive experience!
Tips for Socialising your Puppy
- Always stand behind your puppy or dog. Never allow another dog to come between you and your puppy or dog. This prevents leads tangling and allows both dogs a ‘safe’ way out from the interaction.
- Never growl at your puppy or dog, keep your relationship positive!
- Talk to your puppy or dog in positive and happy tones.
- Reward your puppy or dog for voluntary check-ins. That is, whenever the puppy or dog voluntarily comes back to you and engages with you.
- Keep an eye on your dog’s body language – watch for signs that your dog is becoming anxious or agitated and change environments if you need to calm them.
What else did we learn this week? How to Teach a Puppy to Sit!
Teaching your pup to ‘sit’ is important, and a life skill they’ll use every day.
Tips for teaching your puppy how to sit:
- Kneel down to be almost level with your puppy, to help keep their attention on you.
- Hold a treat in front of your puppy’s nose.
- Slowly move the treat upward, when your puppy lifts their nose/head their rear end will automatically lower into a sitting position.
- As soon as your puppy’s bottom touches the ground, say the command ‘sit’ and instantly reward them with the treat
- Give your puppy lots of praise and pats for being such a clever dog!
Collars and Leads
A good quality collar, lead and identification tag for your puppy or dog are a must, and should be kept in tip top condition. If they are faulty, frayed or damaged in any way, consider purchasing a replacement immediately.
TIP: Check your pup’s collar daily and adjust it as your pup grows. Pups grow very quickly so you need to ensure their collar is not too tight or too loose. To ensure proper fitting, you should be able to easily place two fingers between the collar and neck of your puppy.
We are excited to introduce Tash, our Puppy Academy Trainer who will take charge of the class of 2016. With over 4-years’ experience training dogs and puppies, Tash is one of PETstock’s leading trainers.
Do you have a question about training your pooch?
PETstock’s Puppy Academy Competition - Terms & Conditions
- The PETstock Puppy Academy Competition is open to Australian residents only aged 13 years and over excluding employees of PETstock or any other company linked to the competition in any way. By entering the Competition, you are agreeing to these terms and conditions.
- To enter, entrants must share a video of themselves and their dog trying one of the Puppy Academy tips below the appropriate Facebook posts on the PETstock Facebook page at www.facebook.com.au/PETstock.
- Promotion begins at 3pm AEST on Tuesday 26th July and closes at 11.59pm AEST on Sunday 11th September 2016 (promotion period).
- There will be 7 x educational videos posted weekly to the PETstock Facebook page beginning Tuesday 26th July, each showcasing a new tip. Each educational video allows one entry per Facebook user.
- Entrants will be judged weekly based on the use of the Puppy Academy tip to teach their dog a new command.
- PETstock accepts no responsibility for late, incomplete, incorrectly submitted, corrupt or misdirected entries, claims or correspondence whether due to error, omission, alteration, tampering, deletion, theft, destruction, transmission interruption, communications failure or otherwise.
- PETstock will record all entries and winners will be selected based on a set judging criteria following the promotion period by Friday 23rd September. PETstock’s decision is final. The Promotion is a game of skill and entering competition does not guarantee a prize.
- There are 7 x prize packs to be won. Prize packs include:
- PETstock Puppy School Voucher valued at up $100
- 3kg bag of Hill’s Science Diet Puppy Food, valued at $42.99
- Bravecto flea & tick chewable, valued at up to $72.99
- 3 months’ free insurance when purchasing a new annual Bupa Pet Insurance policy, valued at up to $120 based on an average annual premium is $480.
- Bupa Pet Insurance is general insurance issued by the insurer The Hollard Insurance Company Pty Ltd (ACN 090 584 473; AFSL 241436) (Hollard), is promoted by Bupa HI Pty Ltd (ACN 000 057 590; AR 354269) (Bupa) and administered by PetSure (Australia) Pty Ltd (ACN 075 949 923; AFSL 420183 (PetSure). Bupa acts as an authorised representative of PetSure. The 3 months’ free voucher will apply to the purchase of a new annual Bupa Pet Insurance policy only. The discount will be spread over the course of the first year and deducted from the standard monthly payment. This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer from Bupa Pet Insurance. Voucher is valued at approximately $120 based on the average retail premium of $480 per annual insurance policy as at 26.07.16. Actual amount may vary depending on variables such as age, breed and species of pet. Terms, conditions, waiting periods and exclusions apply to Bupa Pet Insurance policies, please see Product Disclosure Statement available at bupa.com.au/pet-insurance for details.
- Winners will be contacted via Facebook and asked to supply postal details for prizes to be sent to their nominated address.
- The promoter is PETstock Pty Ltd (ABN 80 098 394 588) of 1/300B Gillies Street, Wendouree, Victoria 3350.
- The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any problems or technical malfunction of any communication network or for any late, lost, incomplete, incorrectly submitted, delayed, illegible, corrupted or misdirected entries, claims or correspondence whether due to error, omission, alteration, tampering, deletion, theft, destruction, transmission interruption, communications failure or otherwise. The Promoter has no control over telephone communications, networks or lines and accepts no responsibility for any problems associated with them, whether due to traffic congestion, technical malfunction or otherwise. The Promoter is not liable for any consequences of user error including (without limitation) any costs incurred.
- The Promoter may, at its sole discretion, declare any or all entries made by an entrant invalid, and prohibit further participation by an entrant in this Promotion, if the entrant:
- fails to verify their personal details and/or eligibility to enter the Promotion to the Promoter’s satisfaction;
- tampers with or benefits from any tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Promotion;
- submits an entry which in the Promoter’s opinion is not in accordance with these terms and conditions;
- acts in a disruptive manner or with the intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person; or
- engages in conduct in entering the Promotion which in the Promoter’s opinion is fraudulent, misleading, deceptive or generally damaging to the goodwill or reputation of the Promotion and/or Promoter. This includes where entrants share receipts or product labels to enter the Promotion or where entrants use multiple names or addresses to register multiple entries.
- If for any reason any aspect of this Promotion does not or is not capable of running as planned, including by reason of infection by computer virus, network failure, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures or any cause beyond the control of the Promoter which corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Promotion, the Promoter may in its sole discretion cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Promotion, or invalidate any affected entries.
- The Promoter, its associated agencies and companies and the agencies and companies associated with this Promotion will not be liable for any loss (including, without limitation, indirect, special or consequential loss or loss of profits), expense, damage, personal injury or death which is suffered or sustained (whether or not arising from any person’s negligence) in connection with this Promotion or accepting or using a prize, except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law (in which case that liability is limited to the minimum allowable by law).
- The Promoter and its associated agencies and companies will not be liable for any damage to or delay in transit of prizes.
- If any are prizes left unclaimed by 30th October 2016, PETstock may conduct an unclaimed prize draw to distribute any unclaimed prizes. The first valid entry drawn will win the unclaimed prize and the draw will continue until all unclaimed prizes have been distributed. This includes but is not limited prizes that are returned to sender due to invalid or insufficient postal details as supplied by entrant.