Petstock logo
HomeRight caret
BlogRight caret
Article Featured Image
February 2024

The Surprising Truth about Pets and Chocolate

CareHealth & NutritionVet Guides

As a vet, Easter means two things. Chocolate AND lots of questions about pets eating chocolate. In fact, my phone rings off the hook with panicked calls from moments where your little mate has snuck a piece of one of our special treats. So I thought I’d remove the wrapper on everything you need to know about the sweet stuff. And guess what, it may not actually be as scary as you might think...

Fast Facts About Pets And Chocolate

Fact One

Chocolate contains a compound called ‘theobromine’. It’s similar to caffeine and it’s what gives dark chocolate that buzz that even us humans feel. The problem? Dogs and cats don’t handle that buzz at all well though and if they have too much, their nervous system becomes overstimulated, and it causes seizures...and worse.

Fact Two

The type of chocolate is crucial. White chocolate is not toxic, while dark chocolate is far more dangerous than milk chocolate.

Fact Three

The amount pets need to eat to have a problem is surprisingly high. When you see the sheer volume, you can see why actual toxicity is rare...and mostly limited to dogs who have raided Easter egg stashes while their parents are out.

  • For a 35kg dog (Labrador size), it’s 1.4kg of milk chocolate or 7 regular blocks.
  • For a 5kg dog (Poodle size), it’s 250g of milk chocolate or 1 1⁄4 regular blocks.
    Interestingly, the fat, sugar or even the foil will often make them sick before the chocolate does.

Dark chocolate is around 3 times stronger though, so they'll only need to eat 1/3 of the amount above. Obviously, if you don’t know how much they’ve eaten, get them to the vet as soon as possible.

Do you know about Petstock Vet?

Speak to your local vet for more advice and information. Or you can visit one of our Petstock VET clinics in your local area.

Learn More

Fact Four

What about cats? Because cats don’t generally have a sweet tooth, it’s rare for them to eat chocolate. Chocolate milk is often the closest they come but it is comparatively quite low in theobromine.

Article Image

Fact Five

While it should never be given as a treat, one piece of chocolate won’t kill them. And if they grab a small piece off the table, don't panic.

If it's an egg-shaped treat they're after, why not try something that will be good for

them. My Daily Boosters are a great alternative...

Profile Image

Dr Chris


Dr Chris Brown

Dr Chris Brown is an Australian Vet, television presenter and author. Best known for his television series Bondi Vet, he is also the founder of Drool – a company which champions quality ingredients and hand-picked supplements for healthy pet treats

Shop Drool Range


Various sizes available